Earth Days in the Bluegrass 2015
Presented by The Office of Sustainability and UK Student Sustainability Council
EDBG is a promotion of sustainability, responsible global citizenship and the power of local action. Join us for a full month of workshops, community service, films, presentations, music and more! Earth Days in the Bluegrass was founded in 2005 by Residence Life Recycling and UK Greenthumb to expand education and outreach about environmental stewardship at the University of Kentucky. This annual series of events is now coordinated by the Office of Sustainability often with the help of a student steering committee. Several of the events on this year's calendar are being hosted by other organizations and simply cross promoted as part of Earthdays in the Bluegrass. All events free and open to the public unless otherwise noted.
For a full calendar of community events focused on the environment and sustainability this spring, check out the Bluegrass Earth website.
Calendar of Events
- Friday, April 3 - First Friday Sustainable Ag Breakfast Forum with Mary Berry of the Berry Center. Presented by the UK Food Connection - 7:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. - E.S. Goodbarn More information..
- Saturday, April 4 - Earth Day at McConnell Springs Presented by the NRES Capstone Project -11 a.m. - 4 p.m. - McConnell Springs, 416 Rebmann Lane More information..
- Thursday, April 9 - From Plows to Plates: A Journey Through Kentucky Foodways. Presented by the University of Kentucky Libraries Special Collections Research Center 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. in the Margaret I. King Library Building on UK’s campus. More information..
- Sunday, April 12 - Kentucky's Present - Part of the UK Arboretum Party for the Planet presented by Kentucky Utilities. Arboretum Staff will lead tours of the Bluegrass region and The Arboretum Woods that will demonstrate problems with invasive species and suggest alternatives using native plants. 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. Meet at the Arboretum Visitors Center. More information..
- April 13-18 - UK Bike Week 2015 - Events each day! Presented by the UK Bicycle Advisory Committee More information..
- Friday, April 17 - Downtown Trash Bash. Presented in partnership with the Downtown Lexington Corporation and Bluegrass Greensource - Check in outside Kennedy's Bookstore from 12 p.m. - 3 p.m. More information
- Monday, April 20 - Film Screening: Coming to Ground. Moderated discussion following film. Presented in Partnership with the UK Food Connection. - 6:30 p.m. in the Auditorium of the W.T. Young Library. Part of the Bluegrass Earth Film Series. bluegrassearth(dot)org.
Event Flier (PDF)Trailer and film infoParking info
- Tuesday, April 21 – UK Parking and Transportation Service’s Bicycle Advisory Committee presents: Tour de Downtown Art. - 6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. Departs from Alumni Plaza on Avenue of Champions. The tour is expected to cover 3-5 miles at a very leisurely pace. Please sign up to attend this free tour via the Facebook event page..
- Wednesday, April 22 - 45th Anniversary of Earth Day - Free food, fun activities and a showcase of UK's Sustainability Efforts - 10 a.m. -2 p.m. - Student Center Patio More information..
- Thursday, April 23 - Kentucky's Future - Part of the UK Arboretum Party for the Planet presented by Kentucky Utilities. Arboretum Staff will lead demonstrations focused on how to select and properly plant a tree while adding to The Arboretum collection. Children and families can watch their own tree grow in The Arboretum for years to come. 4 p.m. - 7 p.m. Meet at the Arboretum Visitors Center. More information..
- Friday, April 24 - Clean Up the CATchment- Help needed planting, trimming and cleaning up the campus's flagship rain garden. Student organizations have the opportunity to earn funding support through competition to see who can bring the most volunteers to the event.- 11:30 a.m. -4:00 p.m. - Farm Road adjacent to the Gluck Parking Lot More information..
- Saturday, April 25 - Arbor Day at the UK Arboretum. The theme for this year’s event is ‘Leave a Legacy – Kentucky’s Past, Present & Future’ and will highlight the natural history of Kentucky. - 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Sunday, April 26 - SustainLex at the Plantory. - 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. SustainLex is a community gathering aimed at addressing the issue of environmental sustainability in the city of Lexington. We will be bringing together individuals of various backgrounds with the goal of developing imaginative solutions for environmental issues in the city.